Making your floor finish last longer.
With a little care, your timber floor will look stunning for many years.
The type of maintenance your floor needs will depend on the finish you select.
[MC polyurethane, OM polyurethane, Waterbase polyurethane]
- Protect the floor
Do not place rugs on the floor until two weeks after the final has been applied. After two weeks, place tracking mats and exterior doors, in front of sinks, refrigerators and in heavy traffic areas. Be aware that some rubber-backed rugs, foam-backed rugs, and non-slip pads contain additives that may discolour the floor. Place felt pads or floor glides on chairs and other furniture to prevent scratching.
Never wax the base of chair legs.
- Clean regularly
Dust, mop, or vacuum the floor with a bristle head vacuum cleaner on a regular basis. Spills and dirt may require more than just dust mopping. To throughly clean the floor, lightly sponge-mop using general detergent. Be careful to use only a damp mop, not wet, as excess water will damage the floor over time.
Note: Oil soaps, liquid ammonia, and vinegar should not be used on your floor finish.
- Things to remember
Some cleaners and polishes can damage water-based finishes, never use wax- or silicon-based polish, paste wax, solvent-based cleaners or pine-based cleaners on your wood floor. Wax or polish can actually make the floor more difficult to clean, and will create problems when the floor requires refinishing.
Penetrating oil finishes
[Synteko solid oil]
Synteko solid is a penetrating oil that soaks into the wood and hardens to form a protective penetrating seal. The maintenance of this floor finish is detailed below;
- New floor
*Assuming that the floor has been handed over after finishing the timber surface in Synteko Solid oil*
The floor can be used for very light traffic after oil has cured for 24-48 hours. Avoid dirt for the first week and water spillage for the first four to five weeks.
- Daily maintenance
Once a day, or as often as possible, the entire area should be swept with an electrostatic sweep mop. The removal of dust and grit from the floor is an important part of good floor maintenance. It is important that the sweep mop is kept clean. When necessary spot mop any spillage with 1:20 dilution of Synteko Soap 1617 in warm water, using a well wrung cloth. Use Synteko Remover 1692 diluted with warm water or Synteko Recover 1620 for stubborn stains preceded by Synteko Soap.
- Weekly maintenance
Once a week, with a dry-damp cloth, mop the floor with Synteko Soap 1617 diluted with warm water 1:20 and allow to dry thoroughly. Ensure the applicator or mop is clean and not used for any other purpose. After use, rinse the mop thoroughly in clean water. If necessary, only for badly worn surfaces, treat with Synteko Recover 1620. Apply Synteko Recover 1620 with an oil-moistened cloth on the end of a wide broom head and buff in the Recover.
- Monthly maintenance
Periodically the floor should be cleaned using a dry damp mop with Synteko Remover 1692 in a dilution of warm water 1:100, and allowed to completely dry and then recoated with Synteko Recover 1620 buffed in with a polishing machine using a red pad (new, non-saturated cloths will always absorb a reasonable amount of oil). Let the surface dry for 20 minutes and polish with a dry, non-flocculent cloth or white pad. On heavy traffic areas, it may be necessary to apply extra Recover 1620. Buff with a clean white pad whereby footprints are removed and surface is restored.
[Rubio Monocoat oil]
This oil finish can be cleaned with liquids once fully cured. Cleaning should only be done with the recommended Monocoat products.
Respect the curing period as note:
|Oil Plus & 2C Part A||21 days|
|Oil Plus 2C A & B||7 days|
|UV Oil||upon installation|
Prior to curing, the finish can be dry mopped or vacuumed.
Once cured, use one of the following cleaning products:
- Surface Care Spray: ready to use, non-residue cleaner.
- Natural Soap: concentrated version of Surface Care Spray.
- Restoration & Rejuvenation
Restoration or rejuvenation is a simple process that can be carried out anytime. Most residences will do a restoration between 3–6 years. Most commercial applications will do a restoration between 1-3 years. The time frame varies greatly based on abrasion and wear.
The products for this process:
- Refresh: used to restore the texture of the finish.
- Universal Maintenance Oil: Protects and refreshes the colour of oiled wooden surfaces and adds a soft satin lustre to the floor surface.
- Spot Repairs Monocoat Natural Oil finish bonding technology allows local touch up of damaged areas or scratches.
- Sand the repair area as needed to remove damage and expose raw wood.
- Dampen the area with water. Wait until completely dry.
- Apply oil with a cotton cloth; the same colour oil that was used originally to coat the floor.
- Let it react for 10 minutes. Wipe the excess oil off with a cloth, dampened with Monocoat Oil.
For repairing minor scratches, follow the above instructions but skip sanding.
Regular maintenance polishing service
Once you have chosen Myflooring's professional services for your timber floors, for selected finishes you may request regular maintenance.
Finishes where a maintenance service is available and may be required:
- Hardwax oil [treatex oil]
- Penetrating oil [Synteko solid, Rubio monocote]
- Tung oil [Feastwatson, intergrain]
- Oil modified [Altathane, UMO]
- Waterbase polyurethane [Bona traffic, EnvirpPro]
- Oil modified and Waterbase polyurethane floors must receive maintenance polishing prior to the coating wearing through to bare timber; otherwise the floor will be stained and will need to be sanded back to the bare timber, instead of simply maintained.